To perform well in elite sports, you must train hard. But you can’t stop there. To make the most of your training, you need to eat right and take the right supplements. And for any of that to matter, you need to start with a healthy lifestyle. If you want to excel in your sport, start here.
How to Eat Healthy:
Nutrition is a complex topic, so there is a lot to cover. Here is my advice on what to eat, when to eat, and where to eat (yes that includes fast food restaurants.)
- Foods You Should Eliminate From Your Diet Completely
- Top 10 Healthiest Pizza Toppings
- How to Eat Healthy at Fast Food Joints
- How to Eat Healthy on a Budget
- 5 Proven Strategies to Prevent Holiday Weight Gain
- Glycemic Index, Glycemic Load, Insulin Index, Oh My!
- Oatmeal, The Perfect Breakfast for a Long Day
- Ways to Flavor Your Oatmeal
- Can I Eat Before Exercise?
- Does Cooking Diminish All Health Benefits?
- Precision Nutrition vs The Paleo Diet
- Rolled Oats vs Steel Cut Oats
- How To Really “Have It Your Way” At A Restaurant
- What Healthy Foods to Eat Throughout the Day?
- How to Eat Gluten-Free
- The Precision Nutrition Eating System
Sports Nutrition Tips and Guides:
When the goal is to improve sports performance, things get even more detailed. Here are my guides on what to eat before, during, and after your workouts.
- What to Eat Before and After a Bike Ride
- What to Eat During a Bike Ride or Race
- Proper Hydration Techniques for Endurance Sports
- Understanding the “Drink Before You’re Thirsty” Rule
- Great Snacks for Long Endurance Rides
- Energy Bars Are NOT Real Food
- What Can I Eat in Cold Weather?
- Ways to Get Electrolytes Besides Gatorade
- Quick Comparison: Top 10 Energy Gels
- Diet Analysis for Maximum Performance
Energy Bars, Gels, and Drinks:
Here are my thoughts on some of the most popular sports nutrition products from Powerbar, Hammer Nutrition, and other top names.
- PowerBar Performance Bar Review
- PowerBar Energize Bar Review
- Clif Bar Review
- Clif Shot Gel Review
- GU Gel Review
- Hammer Heed Review
- Hammer Perpetuem Review
- Hammer Gel Review
- PowerBar Gel Blasts Review
- Larabar Review
- SoLo GI Energy Bar Review
- High-Energy Replacements for Expensive Energy Gels
I don’t recommend a lot of supplements, but when you’re putting your body through intense training, supplements can come in very handy. Here is my advice on who should take what (and when.)
- Fish Oil Supplements Comparison Chart
- Should I Take Creatine to Improve Cycling Performance?
- A Supplement You Can Substitute for FRS Energy Drink
- Black Cherry Juice – A Natural Anti-Inflammatory
Kitchen Skills and Cooking Basics:
Here are some basic tips that will help you out, even if you barely know your way around the kitchen.
Healthy Recipes I Love:
These are some of my favorite recipes that fit well into an endurance athlete’s diet. They include lots of carbs for energy, protein for muscle recovery, and high quality fats to keep your body functioning at an optimal level.