This page consists of exercise tutorials, training techniques, and workout ideas for all endurance sports athletes. Most are aimed at cyclists, but they’ll work equally well for runners, triathletes, and xc skiers. If your training regimen does not include these types of workouts, at least in the off-season, you are shortchanging yourself!
And of course, we cover the basics of cycling training, including heart rate training, power training, and more.
Exercise Basics and How-To Guides:
These are categorized collections of off-bike exercises that are great for your off-season training. Each section includes a list of recommended exercises, instructions, photos, and video.
Cycling Training Basics:
These are the basic principles that will shape your training schedule and your day-to-day training activities.
- How to Determine Your Sweat Rate
- Heart Rate Monitors, Heart Rate Zones, and More
- Training: It’s About Hours, Not Miles
- Junk Miles: What They Are, And Why You Should Avoid Them
- An Introduction to Power Training
Hate offseason training? Then you need these tips, tricks, and programs for your off-season (winter) training to improve your fitness and prevent boredom.
- Riding a Fixed Gear Bicycle Does Not Improve Pedal Stroke
- Single Speed and Fixed Gear Riding for Offseason Training
- Why A Geared Bike Makes For Better Training Than a Fixed Gear
- Stationary Trainers vs Rollers
Training Programs and Workouts:
Need help crafting your own training plan? Here are some tips and samples.
- What a Typical Training Week May Look Like
- How To Maintain Fitness, Even If Your Workouts Last Only Twenty Minutes
- Semi-Custom Cycling Training Plans Collection
- Stationary Trainer Workouts To Burn Calories and Maintain Fitness
Training Plans and Workout Program DVDs:
Here are my thoughts on some popular workout programs, books, and DVDs, and how they can be applied to your type of training and goals.